Sunday, January 11, 2015

Monday Jan 5 – Friday Jan 9

This is the last of the posts which were written/put together before the shootings at Charlie Hebdo and the Vincennes grocery store.  Today, Sunday Jan 11th, we're going to try to participate in the rally at Place Republique.  We'll have photos and thoughts from that.  But, we're spending the morning catching up on things, including documenting our trip as we experienced it...

*********************************************************************************

I think we’re so behind on blogging because we see the end of this trip coming and are trying to get every last Paris experience, even repeats of things we’ve already done, into our days.  So, we’ve tried to keep notes on the week towards this entry.

Monday I had in mind to go to an area called Belleville.  We were there 8 years ago for 2 Meet the French events, the first to meet one of the best bakers in the city, and the second a coffee roaster.  Unfortunately, today was Monday and both were closed!  So, we walked the streets but it was a relatively short visit.  We then hopped down to the area by Bastille and managed to find a great lunch.  Again, an example of our “new French” restaurant experience, each day this place makes batches of 6 different soups and that’s what you eat, along with salad and cheese, if they haven’t run out.  No table cloth.  Simple service.  Great food.  Le Bar de la Soup (or that’s what we recall).  Dinner was a bit of a challenge with places closed because either a) they still thought it was Xmas/New Years break, or b) they just aren’t open on Mondays.

*Maxine’s been doing our food commentary, as is appropriate!  I just wanted to add that even for someone like myself, who’s largely indifferent to food, it’s impossible to stay that way in France.  Truly, they celebrate it.  The window displays are often amazing, and there are MANY of them.  The restaurants are respectful places where you get such a cross section of people.  Yes, their approach is changing and you do see both fast food and eating on the run.  But, because of the food culture, you get caught up in planning your next meal, and the meal after that.  And they’re so good that I’ve been doing very little snacking on this trip (which isn’t to say that I’ve lost weight…). 

Tuesday Maxine went to the last museums on her list – Picasso and Carnavalet (history of Paris) and I did a wander through some “best of” parts of the city.  The Picasso Museum reopened in October after a major remodel and she wanted to see it.  In the end, while it was an interesting presentation of his work, she decided that she’s not a big Picasso fan.  

I took the local bus, which (pretty ideally) goes past the Eiffel Tower.  Interestingly, when the bus was stopped for a light I looked out the window to see 2 plain clothes police frisking a couple guys.  Having never seen that done before, it all seemed more amicable than I would have expected.  One of the guys being frisked kept his cigarette in hand the whole time.

I then headed to the 6th arrondissement, which is the area where we stayed with Cassie 8 years ago.  My biggest worry is this – I just don’t have the depth of memories of the neighborhood that I think I should.  Half seems to be the fact that there’s been a fair amount of turnover in businesses, and the like.  The other half – my memories are fading?!?!?!?  Even some areas where intellectually I know I should have vivid memories (where we took Cassie each morning or evening) the memories are vaguer than I’d like.  Not good!  I don’t mean that I don’t remember having been there, only that the memories don’t have the depth of “you were there” that I can evoke thinking about our home in LA despite having not been there in 3 months.  Or, for that matter, of my parent’s house which I haven’t been to in even longer.

The winter sales are starting tomorrow.  Yes, they legislate sales.  And the official one starts tomorrow.  I saw numerous stores with “soldes” signs up and prices/percentages blocked out.  I saw one store whose sign read (roughly translated), “prices murmured inside”. 

A comment on international retailing…  There’s a company that makes heavy cookware, Le Creuset, and they’ve got a store that I walked past.  20 or 30 years ago I would have mentioned the store to Maxine and she might have gone there on her own to see about buying something.  But, things are different now, retail is international, and Le Creuset has an outlet store 20 miles from our home!  Good ideas go international, which is good for the consumer but bad for the uniqueness of the place.

I eventually wandered to Place Madeleine where Fauchon and Hediard are.  They’re “high end” grocery stores, or used to be.  Now they seem to have reoriented themselves to be food souvenir stores.  Equally high end.  But more oriented towards the crowd looking for “something to take home”.  Oh well.

One last story for the day about Parisians and life here.  At one point in the day I was heading towards a bus stop to catch a ride.  I got there a minute or 2 late and the bus was 20 feet down the block (past the bus stop) and waiting at a red light.  I gave the driver a pleading look and showed him my metro pass through the window.  He nodded surreptitiously and opened the door to let me on the bus!

Tuesday night we went back to Frenchie’s Wine Bar for dinner.  We got there early since they don’t take reservations and were seated overlooking the kitchen.  Maxine describes the experience in her post with photos.

Wednesday was a good day and a bad day.  The bad, of course, being the Charlie Hebdo shootings…  Again, Maxine and I are doing some “best of”’s.  So we started with a hop on the bus down to the Avenue Wilson Market, the best of the nearby ones.  It was, for us, very very poignant.  We could recall things we’d seen at the market 2 ½ months ago, meals we’d planned on purchasing there, unfulfilled Paris dreams.  We surprised ourselves – after all, after 3 months shouldn’t we have done EVERYTHING!

Lunch was back at Hugh Desnoyer, the raw meat place.  (Actually, he’s a butcher shop with seating for 8-10 people lucky enough to get to eat his products, cooked or otherwise, and as fresh as fresh can be.  We both had the steak tartare again.  In my case, because raw meat seems enough of a risky thing that I’d only want to have it someplace really safe and this is probably the best anywhere.  Along with my meal I had a glass of champagne and later of Bordeaux.  Maxine had a Burgundy and then the Bordeaux.  Along with good food, he serves very good wine!

There was one very odd thing during the meal…  French people are generally very quiet (in an earlier post I mentioned that it was the only place that I’ve ever seen people holding iPhone microphones to their lips so they could talk more quietly).  So, we were surprised that at one point the people at the next table had a smart phone out and were watching streaming video.  It didn’t last long, but was odd.  Later, at the end of our meal, I checked my emails to find one from a friend in North Carolina asking if we were safe in light of the shooting.  What shooting!?  Thus the meal ended.

We did stay with our original plans for the evening.  I went to a Philosophy debate group and Maxine to the Full Moon Picnic on the Pont des Arts.  My group debated a Charlie Hebdo topic, whether the pen was mightier than the sword.  Just an apple for dinner after our big lunch.  My group event also (started and) ended earlier than Maxine’s so I met up with her and others on the Pont des Arts for a glass of wine.  After the picnic, we went out with a few people to have a beer (Monts des Cats) at a place suggested by a guy we met who pilots one of the Seine boats.  Really fun to feel more and more part of things.

One Emmy story…  Late at night, I’m walking her and she engages with a Jack Russell terrier (apparently the most popular breed in the city) and I say a couple words in French to the girl who owned the dog.  No big deal, Emmy’s friendly and it happens every day.  But when Emmy decided to leave, the girl said, “Have a nice evening” in English, completely startling me.  Why?  Not a touristic area.  Out at midnight.  With a dog…

Thursday was Maxine’s and my day to check out the sales.  We started, though, at Place Republique, where they had the Charlie Hebdo memorial the day before.  Sad, very sad.  Melted candles.  Piles of pens people had left behind in memory.  Puts things in perspective. 

Dinner was another one of our “best of”’s, a restaurant called Verjus, which Maxine will separately write about.

Friday we took it easy.  Didn’t even leave the apartment till after lunch.  I took the metro over to Hotel de Ville so I could walk across to Notre Dame.  Spent a little time there.  Then continued the rest of the way across the river to Shakespeare & Co so I could pay homage one more time.  Then home.  Maxine did some shopping and enjoyed the city on a beautiful,almost warm and sunny day.

No comments:

Post a Comment