Monday, November 3, 2014

Maxine's Pictures Oct 30 - Nov 3

Maxine's pictures from October 30 through November 2nd

On Thursday, I went shopping at Galeries Lafayette.  In the U.S., all of our big department stores --the type that used to be downtown in every city -- have closed down or become Macy's.  Here in Paris, there are several grand department stores (called grand magasins) and Galeries Lafayette is the grandest.  This is the glass domed roof and the start (only the start) of Christmas decorations.  It was gorgeous and I can't wait to go back to see the store fully decorated.

 

 

Thursday was a beautiful day and I enjoyed the views from the Galeries Lafayette rooftop deck.  That's the Paris Opera building on the left.

 

Friday was another beautiful day so Tom and I decided to see Paris on segways.  It was such fun to roll past all the sites.  In this picture, you can see the Seine and Notre Dame in the background.



 

Sunday was free admission day to Paris museums and monuments.  I decided to go to the top of the Arc de Triomphe since it's so close to our apartment and I couldn't remember ever going up there.  It turned out to be a big commitment -- 284 steps up to the top.  But it was absolutely the BEST view I have ever seen of Paris.  Even though it was a cloudy day, I could see for miles in every direction. 



This photo shows the La Defense modern arch which lines up in a straight line with the Arc de Triomphe.



 This is the Champs Elysees leading to the Louvre.








1 comment:

  1. Love both of your photos!
    I've been wanting to go to Paris again for a few years now without any real reason, and these photos stir up those desires again.
    I haven't seen that view from the top of the Arc de Triomphe since I went up there with my family at about age 11. We had just crossed the traffic circle in a death-defying scamper/run with a 70+ year old grandpa, 30-something parents, and an 11 and 7 year old. We didn't realize until after it was over that there is a very important walking tunnel under that circle road!
    Seeing your photo, it all comes back. :)

    ReplyDelete