Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Thursday Oct 30 + Friday Oct 31


Maxine and I did our own things on Thursday.  One of the things I’m doing to organize my travels around Paris is that I’ve created a list of things I’m interested in, sorted by the arrondissement they’re in.  It’s a pretty inexact way to do things because the territory of each is so large, and also because (obviously) something that’s near the border of one might actually be more convenient to visit when travelling to another.  Some attractions actually list which Metro stop they’re closest to, which would let me be more precise.  But…  Mostly what I’m trying to do is avoid going cross town (a half hour+ ride) to see one thing, coming home, and then discovering a week later that there’s something else nearby that I could have visiting if I’d have combined things.

Today I had in mind an excursion to (roughly) our old neighborhood – the 6th arrondissement.  I brought a fountain pen and bottle of ink with me on the fanciful idea that I’d write with it.  Maybe I might at some point, but I can’t just yet.  I tightly closed my ink bottle and put it in a plastic bag before packing it, but somehow it still leaked all over the place.  LUCKILY, the ink stayed in the bag or my luggage would have been quite a problem.  The net thought is that I don’t have ink.

Spent the morning in the apartment cleaning bathrooms and sweeping.  Then out.  Supposedly a great pen store in the 6th.  Started there.  I was able to talk to the owner and tell her what I was looking for.  But, their inks ran 34E a bottle.  Yes, $44…  No ink for me.  Then, walking down the street I saw a hairdressing salon with a shampoo display in the window.  44E.  $57.  Maybe 8 ounces worth.  Then looked at some clothing displays from small shops.  Prices in a similar range.  Decided this was just getting silly so I left the area.

My intention had been to find a café and read for a while (I had my iPad with me), but walked past the Luxembourg Gardens.  The weather was incredible.  So, decided to be a tiny bit spontaneous (and join 1000 other visitors to the Gardens) and read there for a while.  Really great!  More what I’d had in mind doing on this trip than the shopping and finding prices simply silly.

An hour later, I headed over towards the 7th.  Next stop was Le Bac au Glaces.  Made on premises ice cream on a relatively warm day!  Had 2 scoops (chocolate) and strawberry mint.  Both were actually incredible.  Even though winter’s coming and that sort of pushes aside thoughts of ice cream, this was good enough to make the trek again.

Wandered through the Left Bank’s grand magasin (see Maxine’s entry on them), Bon Marche.  All I really did was take a long slow walk through their food court.  It’s about 6 times the size it was 8 years ago, so I guess the business of good food is booming.  At this point, I sort of expect the French to make pretty food, so no pictures…

Tried to get home but got lost.  I’ve been relying a lot on technologies including Google Maps, iphone Map, and the RATP (French rail site) to find my way around.  They rely on GPS and are pretty inexact and it can get frustrating.  I ended up on a bus, going the wrong way.  So, what was initially predicted to be a 30 minute ride home quickly became an hour.  Ouch!

Thanks to Maxine for having dinner made when I got there!

Friday Emmy continued to charm locals.  We were out with her for her morning walk and it was very obvious that the elderly (in her 80’s) lady heading towards us wanted to meet Emmy, who responded in kind.  Nice to have this way to connect with people – Emmy is earning her keep.

Emmy is also a huge time commitment to us each day with 3-4 walks and at least an hour of our time.  But, worth it.

Maxine, Emmy and I got chased off the grass at the Avenue Foch by what was apparently a park policeman.  We weren’t the only ones he chased off to be fair.  And, there are signs that say
“no dogs” on the grass…


The afternoon was our Segway tour.  We’d taken one in San Diego last summer and had a great time.  Yes, you look indisputably goofy to everyone you pass.  But, the weather was glorious (there really is no other word for it) and it is simply FUN to ride around Paris this way.  Counting instruction time and some stops, we went for nearly 3 ½ hours.  Largely it covered sights and areas we already knew, But it couldn’t have been better.

No comments:

Post a Comment