Sunday, December 21, 2014

Friday Dec 19 – Sunday Dec 21



I’m starting to think of Paris -- and probably France too, although I don’t have the same exposure -- as in a very strong transition right now.  I mentioned in an earlier post about the financial “crisis” which still continues.  Everyone reads about how coddled some French workers are.  The 35 hour work week (revised upwards, but in exchange people were given 2 more weeks vacation).  The extremely good social services.  Very early retirement.  And then, of course, the French lifestyle.

But that seems to be changing.  Quicker lunches.  Companies coming up with ways to lay people off.  Businesses that have closed.  New restaurant concepts successfully competing with old ones (more on this in a couple paragraphs…).  What I wonder about is this.  France is one of the largest economies in the world, not a small social experiment.  And the whole “French thing” from lifestyle to employment to food to architecture and beauty, all of it is something that has always struck Maxine and me as apart from our US experience.  But is it changing, and changing to more of a US/21st century model (I’m treading carefully with my words here to avoid being too pejorative)?  Some portion of that strikes me as inevitable.  If you want to be productive, you’ve got to get more hours out of your workers, all of that.  So, is the France (Paris) that we’ve come here to see an archetype of a lifestyle that is evaporating in the face of exposure to the rest of the world?  I don’t have a conclusion, but I suspect that it is.  And then I wonder what’s left.  Over time is France reduced to a French speaking America, with Gap store and even French *chain* retailers?

OK, enough of that.  Friday, Maxine walked through the 16th arrondissement to the Musee d’Art Moderne.  They have wonderful Matisse murals which turned out to be closed that day!?*!  But she really enjoyed the Sonia Delaunay special exhibit.  To be honest, she’d never heard of Sonia Delaunay before this but there are posters up all over Paris and this prompted her interest.  Definitely worth seeing.

We went out for dinner to Frenchie’s Bar a Vins, another great wine bar, another of those places that flies in the face of conventional French food.  Waited in line to be seated.  Hung up our own jackets.  We sat at high stools and shared a table (that’s how everyone does it at this place).  No idea who exactly was our waiter.  No table cloth.  A serve-yourself pile of silverware in a basket on the table.  And prices nearly as high (for the total meal) as a Michelin 1 star restaurant.  Yet, we paid it willingly, and we’d go back there again, ahead of the 1 star.  Why, interesting and great food and fun atmosphere versus stuffy and quiet.  This is what I was talking about a couple paragraphs back.  People, young people?, are exploring.  They are breaking out of the mold of what a restaurant “should” be.  They’re creating casual experience.  And, let’s be realistic here, they’re taking money away from the French restaurant establishment.  Last trip, Maxine and I went to a 1 star in Paris every 2 weeks.  This time, only one for the entire trip.  We’re looking for good food, good wine, a comfortable experience, and to feel welcome.  The wine bars, the cocktail bars, the craft beer bars are the ones getting our attention.  (Of course, to counter argue all of this, we had a phenomenal beef bourguignon at a 30 year old restaurant a few weeks ago).

Emmy continues to be the clock that drives our day.  Maxine walks her first thing in the morning.  We switch off on the late afternoon walk.  And I do the 11pm one.  Recall that it’s 65 stairs up to the apartment.  I think I disappoint my dog both when we head out and when we return.  She races ahead of me and is waiting at the far end of the hallway, looking to go outside, way before I get there.  And on the return, she zips up a few stairs, then waits patiently for me to catch up, time and time again till I unlock the door and she races up the last flight of stairs inside the unit, to Maxine.

And the day ended with some more observations on surreality…  In the evening I started watching Love Actually, which if you haven’t seen it, is a movie set in London during the Christmas season.  I got through the first ½ hour which has a lot of scene-setting segments showing London at the holiday.  At one level, this all made sense. After all it is the Christmas season.  But, when I paused the movie and took Emmy outside, as I stepped off the building curb, it struck me.  I’d become engaged in London Christmas for the last ½ hour, but my feet were touching ground in Paris-Christmas.  Once more, I feel fortunate being able to do this trip with Maxine and Emmy…  To conclude things, during the walk, Emmy and I passed the Serbian and Congo embassies.

Saturday was sort of mixed.  I went out for some Christmas vibe, which I got, and some last minute Christmas shopping, which was much more difficult.  By mid-afternoon I was beat and trudging through the streets.  I called Maxine back in the apartment.  I was looking for a magnum of champagne to bring the friends we’re visiting for Christmas.  It’s available everywhere, but we wanted to get a special bottle, and I didn’t see any options during my trudge.  Maxine did a search and, from what she’d found, the “best” place in the city was the one where we’d done the champagne tasting last week.  So, we took the ½ hour, 2 metro lines, trip over there…  And they were out of everything.  And, it was raining despite a 0% probability of rain in the forecast.  I got grumpy and we headed home to a dinner of some cheese, and the foie gras Maxine made!


Sunday we’re getting ready to go out of town.  We’re spending a week in Toulouse with our friends, my friend from college, and his family.  We’re picking up the rental car tomorrow morning and making the 6-7 hour drive down there. So, we’re getting caught up today.  Some more shopping. Getting the blog current before we forget things we’d prefer to remember here.  Packing.  Although tonight we’re both going out.  I’m going to a Philosophy club dinner.  And Maxine is going to a Chanukah menorah lighting and concert.

No comments:

Post a Comment